Thursday, March 8, 2007

molly Ivans

Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Molly Ivins Charmed and Challenged Us

For those of you that missed Kathleen Parker's recent column, you can see the full article at kparker@kparker.com. Now I am not a fan of Ms Parker since I am an admitted progressive while she is decidely right wing conservative. But I must say that Ms Parker paid her respects to Molly in an very enlightened manner. I wish we could all show the same respect for the person expressing opposing view points. To quote a smal portion of her article "Ivins, the syndicated writer beloved by liberals and despised by conservatives..../ died Wednesday after a seven- year battle with breast cancer. Her parting words to readers : "Raise Hell." I have no special claim to grief when it comes to Ivins. I'm just one of millions who loved reading her. As I said in an E-mail to her a few days ago, which I'm guessing she never saw, I've been a fan as long as I can remember.
She was funny,irrevent and smart. It did'nt matter that she was often wrong, in my view (but not in mine)......Ivins fans took pleasure in telling me I should read Ivins before I died of chronic stupidity; her un-fans wrote to say they read me as an antidote to that Ivins woman. My favorite letters came from readers who said they liked us both the best, even though we were both wrong most of the time........ Molly made me laugh. I admired her style, wit, passion and smarts. As a fellow toiler in the field, I appreciated her doggedness in pursuit of our craft and the skill of her execution.......In a world short on class acts, Ivins was a star--- and the marketplace of ideas will be poorer without her. She was one great columnist. And one great broad"

Thank you Kathleen for your enlightened and thoughtfull comments.
Labels: Ivins, KParker, writer

posted by jaybird @ 3:33 PM 1 Comments Links to this post

Posted by jaybird at 3/08/2007 05:31:00 PM

No comments: